"If a commission by an earthly king is considered an honor, how can a commission by a Heavenly King be considered a sacrifice?"
-David Livingstone

May 7, 2011

Peace?

Recently as we were visiting with some veteran missionary friends the conversation turned to decision-making and the struggle in discerning God's will. They pointed out something that has stuck with me.

Peace is not necessarily an indicator of God's will.

When we stand between decisions we may have a feeling of "peace" about one above another simply because it leaves us within our comfort zone. That really hit home for me. Especially as I seem to find myself coming to more and more decisions in life. Often I hear the comment from others as well as myself, "But I don't have peace about it." Is that the kind of life I want to live? I want to go against my natural grain. step out of my comfort zone. Let courage overrule fear...
Sound particularly peaceful? And, yes, I do believe that I can have peace even in the midst of change, trial, and pain... But should I depend on that feeling of peace to always be there, overriding all my actions and decisions?
* I should add that with saying this I do realize that there are times when God speaks to us through impressions. I'm simply saying that as a general rule feelings alone aren't something we can rely on.

Jesus did not have peace about dying on the cross. He sweat tears of blood.
His decision to obey wasn't about peace.
It was about surrender.

"...Never the less, not My will, but Your's be done."

"If you would live in victory over the circumstances great and small that come to you each day...and if you want God's life and power to well up from the depths of your being... then you must refuse to be dominated by the seen and the felt."
-Amy Carmichael

No comments:

Post a Comment