"If a commission by an earthly king is considered an honor, how can a commission by a Heavenly King be considered a sacrifice?"
-David Livingstone

May 2, 2011

Back On the Road

Yesterday found us back on the road. Heading back up to Lay Klew Yaw School. We're here safe and sound this morning after an overnight bus ride from Bangkok to Maesot. It's funny how I've began to think of 8-hour bus rides as the "short(er) ones."

Have I ever mentioned the attention that is generated just by the very nature of being a gullawa (white person)? Now take that baseline level of attention for any given day + small baby and multiply it x 3. Then multiply that x small cute baby who doesn't just sweetly smile, but grins, coos, giggles, sparkles, squeals, and beams at any individual who so much as glances in our direction x 10. You get the idea. Oh, did I mention the new "spitting" (more like blowing bubbles) factor that adds into this? He definitely keeps life light and far from boring. Take for example, last night in the bus station when he turned all of his charms toward a smiling advertisement on the wall. Poor thing, he was just so completely delighted to have somebody smiling back at him. He had me and a fellow traveller in stitches.
I am really thankful for a cheerful baby...:) I'm still trying to figure out how I ended up with such a complete extrovert for a child though... I do believe that God has a sense of humor! It's only His mercy that gave me time to first adjust (as well as possible) to the idea of constant attention and eyes following my every move. Last year I'm not sure that I could have handled it...

It can be a bit of a challenge and an adventurous experience now and again to travel alone with a baby. The Thai people really have a soft place for small children though and I've found it to be an amazing (and very humbling...!) experience to be placed in a position where time and time again I get to see so much kindness and many thoughtful gestures first hand. Those experiences could be a blog in themselves. I'll have to write about it sometime.:)

2 comments:

  1. We just stumbled across your blog and find it very interesting! More so because our oldest daughter (8) have listened to the Dr. Hare story on tape over and over... This will help give her a glimpse of the Karen people where he worked so long ago. We are missionaries in East Africa and it is always interesting to see how other missionaries live and work. Blessings on your work, the Fournier Family

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for commenting.:) I'm always amazed to hear that people actually read this.:)
    I was raised on Eric B. Hare stories myself. Little did we know that we would someday actually end up here!
    Do you have a blogspot or website where I can follow your work?
    Blessings,
    Maria

    ReplyDelete