"If a commission by an earthly king is considered an honor, how can a commission by a Heavenly King be considered a sacrifice?"
-David Livingstone

February 15, 2011

Things That I Love

I often think about things I love (the perks) about living here. I love the people. I love their gentle spirit. I love the way they try to make me one of them. I love the way they laugh – even at me – and the light-hearted banter. I love the ease of relationships. I love the way I can call the people around me (and even random ones that I meet) big brother, big sister, aunt, uncle, grandpa, or grandma. I love the way people don’t regard personal space. I love the lack of doors and the absence of knocking. Speaking of which, I love living in a bamboo hut. I just flat out love being so close, practically in, the great out of doors. I love my rice. (And that’s saying a lot after dining over it some 906 times in the last 453 days.) Finger eating simply adds to the charm. Just saying…

You’ve got me on a roll…

I love the transportation - motorbikes. I love the little children. I love the challenge of the language. I love having practically nothing (by American standards) and yet feeling as if I have everything that I need. I love the way I’ve seen God work in my life and those around me here. I love the way I’ve had to rely on Him. I love the way all of this has changed the way I think.

And that's just getting started…

Yes, there’s much that I miss from home. More than you know... Namely, family and friends that are like family. I miss Montana. I miss horses and ambulances. I crave a good snowstorm, Christmas, a Montana summer, backpacking, a cozy evening with a book, and time with people I love more than life itself.

But do I wish to turn back?

“…Intreat me not to leave thee, or to return from following after thee: for whither thou goest, I will go; and where thou lodgest, I will lodge; thy people shall be my people, and thy God my God.
Where though diest, will I die, and there will I be buried: the Lord do so to me, and more also, if ought but death part thee and me.” Ruth 1:16-17


This text has meaning for me right now.

I’m so thankful for a God that gives us so much to love. He could just give us duty. He really could. But, no, His ultimate gift is love.

Now as I won’t love being tired tomorrow morning when I arise at 4:30 to help prepare breakfast, I had better hit the mat.:)

1 comment:

  1. And some people say the work of God is "boring..."
    I call it life worth living.

    Thanks for sharing, Maria.

    ReplyDelete