"If a commission by an earthly king is considered an honor, how can a commission by a Heavenly King be considered a sacrifice?"
-David Livingstone

December 29, 2010

Merry - late - Christmas!

12/27/08
Hello, Friends!! A very late, very Merry Christmas to all of you!

I'm with my family for a couple days or so; so I get the major treat of internet access!!:)
Surprisingly, they do do Christmas here (not everyone, I don't think), but it's just different...and it does feel a bit weird to sing Jingle Bells while sitting under palm fronds and even stranger to hear strains of Silver Bells wafting out from another bamboo hut.:) But then I can't really complain as I always was the one to belt out The First Noel in July!

Have to admit to spending part of Christmas morning laying on my bamboo plastic mat staring up at the bamboo walls and leaf ceiling and picturing.... snow...Christmas trees...laughter...friends...food...and what all of you guys would be doing then...

In the evening I got to go see my family. As I'm sure you can image, that was a major spirit lifter as I hadn't seen them for several weeks. They had just moved into their new house that day so I got to spend the first night there with them. It really felt funny to have wood walls around me and glass in the windows. It's amazing how much a very simple wooden structure can feel like luxury after having only having been around bamboo. I think I'm going to have reverse culture shock going back to the States. Emily really outdid herself and put together a nearly regular Christmas dinner for us! Now that was a BIG treat after rice, vegetables, rice, and vegetables!:)
So...I hope all of you had a really really great Christmas....and I miss everyone extremely a lot.
A video of the kids singing. They can really sing! Sadly due to poor lighting you can't see much.
Our Christmas dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment