"If a commission by an earthly king is considered an honor, how can a commission by a Heavenly King be considered a sacrifice?"
-David Livingstone

December 29, 2010

Day 3

1/14/10
A good day. Not quite as eventful as the last two. A few small victories. Some discouraging moments too. Mostly language bloopers. If nothing else, at least I'm good for amusement! The problem is that I might know I said it wrong, but I'm not sure just exactly what I said. Either their laughing at me or exchanging embarrassed glances with one another (I'll take the laughter, thank-you!:)) Tonal languages. I regress...
The number of patients is definitely picking up. 42 today! Quite a few weren't exactly patients though as they just came for deworming meds - very popular. Asides from that, mostly coughs, tummyaches, and other various aches and pains.
I took a wonderful couple hour hike out to the road and back again this afternoon. So thankful for the opportunity to get away like that. The publicity quickly wears on you. They have no sense of privacy whatsoever.
I'm used to taking my bath in public by now (what they do here - dressed, of course), but not with a direct audience. Well that's just exactly what I had this evening. I was praying for all I was worth they'd find something more interesting to observe. Finally, in desperation, I decided grin and bear it was the best option. I had an abbreviated bath afterwhich they trailed me up back into the house, together with a couple new patients. Incidentally, the house has no doors. They didn't seem to take a hint and I was starting to wonder if they had any sense of propriety at all. Let's just say that we become skilled in such matters.:)
All said and done though, the end of a good day! It's a wonderful challenge and I feel blessed to be here.

No comments:

Post a Comment