"If a commission by an earthly king is considered an honor, how can a commission by a Heavenly King be considered a sacrifice?"
-David Livingstone

March 7, 2012

Sometimes it's the smallest things that make the biggest difference. . .

I was probably somewhere between my study of the zona glomerulosa and the zona fasciculato (but I can pretty much promise you that what I was really interested in was zoning out), when I glanced up to see several (white!) people walk in the door of the internet cafe where I was seated. Pleasant looking people.
An older lady walked by, glanced down and smiled a little smile at the paramedic textbook beside me. She turned around, walking by me again, and it was obvious that my book had caught her eye. She whispered something to her friend who headed my way.
They were from Austrailia and her son was a paramedic. Which explained everything. I briefly told her of my medical work here.
"God bless you," she said as she prepared to follow the others out the door. And then she quickly reached to retrieve something from her bag and placed a small koala bear in my hands.
"I give these to people all over as a small token to remember that I pray for them. Put it on your backpack and remember that someone in Austrailia is praying for you."
She walked out the door, leaving me with a big smile on my face and warmth in my heart, thinking of what this world would be like if everyone chose to care like that.
Sometimes it's the smallest things that make the biggest difference. The endocrine system didn't seem so tedious anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment