"If a commission by an earthly king is considered an honor, how can a commission by a Heavenly King be considered a sacrifice?"
-David Livingstone

December 29, 2010

Teacher --> Student

01/21/09

So... I'm not a teacher anymore. I can't rightly decide whether I'm sad or glad. In fact, I'm descending back to student status again. Sounds amazingly inviting to just show up at classes, launge around in my desk chair, and study what I'm told to; versus trying to wrack my brain for new creative activities, spending my time dreaming up unconventional punishments, or panicking that I won't be able to fill up all of the time.
I left the school on Sunday night. Goodbyes were not easy. I didn't feel ready to leave at all. I'm just getting into the language, learning all the kids names and getting to know them personally and then I have to just pack up and say goodbye? I've really felt that the Lord's been opening up the doors for me to return. How to explain that to the kids was the hard part. I couldn't figure out how to tell them that I really do love them and want to stay with them, but feel that for now I'm supposed to be in the US getting more training. For several days Nicholway would intermittently burst into tears over my leaving. Some of the kids told me they would leave the school and a couple even claimed they would die if I left (not true, of course). Some of them would repeatedly ask every time they met me in their thin, dejected sounding little voices if I was going to America. It was truly heartwrenching at times. The morning before I left, Pockatow, forever the little man, came marching up and demanded as to whether I was going to America or not. When I sadly affirmed that I was, before strutting off, he drew himself up and declared with as much fierceness in his voice as he could muster (as best I can translate it), "My Maria go to America, I love not!" That one at least gave me a smile.
So, anyways... I'm in Chiang Mai with my family right now. I should be flying out sometime this next week. I don't know the exact date yet. It will definitely be an adventure! Afraid the goodbyes to my family are going to be even harder than they were to the kids though.

No comments:

Post a Comment